From Pharmacy Drug Guide
Abilify®, or aripiprazole, is an anti-psychotic medication that is primarily used to treat schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, but may also be used to treat major depressive disorder when other antidepressants are not effective enough. The drug is mainly used in adults for mood disorder, but has also been approved for the treatment of autism in children over six, as well as in teens. Abilify® may help minimize autism symptoms such as irritability, aggression, mood swings, tantrums, and self injury.
Common side effects of Abilfy® include headache, increased hunger with or without weight gain, abdominal pain or pain elsewhere in the body, increased saliva production, diarrhea, constipation, nervousness and drowsiness.
Flickr: Brett Lider
|Brand name for||Aripiprazole|
|Uses||Treatment of bipolar disorder, schizophrenia) and autism; used in combination with antidepressant drugs to treat depression|
|Common side effects||Excess saliva, dizziness, drowsiness, constipation, mild stomach upset, headache, anxiety, sleep problems, weight gain|
|Who should not take Abilify||Patients with dementia, or a history of liver or kidney disease, heart disease, high blood pressure, cardiac problems, breast cancer, low white blood cell count, epilepsy, diabetes|
|Disclaimer||The information provided by PharmacyDrugGuide is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Do not take any action based on the information on this page without consulting a physician.|
Common Abilify Side Effects
Most people do not experience major side effects when taking Abilify®; however, as with any drug, adverse reactions may occur. Some of the more common symptoms caused by Abilify® are dizziness, pain in the limbs, joints or stomach, grogginess, drooling, weight gain, and constipation. Persistent or worsening side effects may require medical attention.
More serious side effects of Abilify® include fast or pounding heartbeat, fainting, altered vision, stiffness, restlessness, tremors, muscle spasms, seizures, chest pain,and uncontrolled movements of the face, mouth, tongue, arms or legs. Patients are urged to contact a physician immediately if any of these serious side effects occur.
Drug Side Effects
Abilify Allergic Reactions
Symptoms of an allergic reaction to Abilify® may range from itching, rash and hives to anaphylaxis, characterized by difficulty breathing, tightness in the chest, and swelling of the oral areas. Anaphylaxis is rare but dangerous, and can be fatal if left untreated. Allergies may occur from the active ingredient, aripiprazole, or from any of the inactive ingredients contained in the Abilify® formula.
Abilify Precautions and Warnings
- Patients are advised to seek immediate medical attention if there are symptoms of a serious and rarely fatal nervous system disorder called neuroleptic malignant syndrome. These symptoms include muscle tremors or cramps, fever, unstable blood pressure, agitation, delirium and coma.
- Abilify® can make patients more susceptible to heat stroke. Adequate fluid intake along with avoidance of heavy exercise or overexertion can help prevent this.
- Diabetics may be affected by sugar contained in liquid forms of aripiprazole. In rare cases, blood sugar may go up to dangerous levels.
- Dizziness can occur when rising quickly from a reclined position. This can be alleviated by rising gradually.
- Senior citizens have a higher risk or experiencing some of the more serious Abilify® side effects.
- Abilify® can, in rare cases, cause problems in infants when mothers take it during the third trimester of pregnancy.
Also See: Abilify, Abilify Coupons, Abilify Patient Assistance Programs, Abilify Free Samples, Risperdal Coupons, Lexapro Coupons, Zyprexa Coupons, Lamictal Free Samples, Seroquel Free Samples, Cymbalta Side Effects, Seroquel Side Effects, NAC Autism